Monday, November 19, 2007

Miss Katie

I'd been subbing at the same elementary school all week last week and I'd noticed on the wall with the teachers names there was an extra one....Miss Katie. I thought maybe it was an old student teacher or something and they hadn't taken her name down. Then on Friday I came in and got to meet Miss Katie. She is a 21 year old Down Syndrome lady who comes in on Friday's and gets to be the PE teacher for a day. Every Friday she comes and assists and leads exercises. The kids were wonderful to her. Even during our morning duty they all told her hello. It was super sweet and such a great opportunity for her. I would watch her remind students (and sometimes me) of the rules. If a class didn't do too well she would apologize. Her mom is a teacher here and apparently since she was 18 she's been coming every Friday to help out.

I was so glad that I got to meet her and at the end of the day she gave me a big hug.

No comments: