Thursday, February 05, 2015

Moms Unite

Tonight I experienced a first. 
I saw a cute mom on Facebook and linked to her blog. 
She was adorable. 
Fit, cute, with well dressed children who smiled in the pics while they all ate ice cream. 
And my first thought wasn't I wish I was just like her. 
My first thought was- I wonder what her struggles are? 

Why do we think that when we sit behind a screen and see some other mother staring back at us that she is perfect? We start to compare ourselves to the Pinterest moms, to the crossfit moms, the neat freak moms, to the granola crunchy moms, the super spiritual moms, the essential oil moms. And in our minds we never measure up. Because we compare our lows to their picture perfect highs. 

The theme for MOPS last year was Beautiful Mess and I remember our table mom shared about comparison and the terrible nature of it. How we are all in this together and we are all doing the best we know how. I wish I could find the link to that blog. This isn't it, but is something similar I found when I went searching...http://lysaterkeurst.com/2009/03/embracing-who-i-am/

I just read another similar blog tonight: http://momastery.com/blog/2014/01/07/quit-pointing-avocado/ Looks like it's from a little over a year ago, but the theme is still valid and the fears of failure for some are paralyzing. We can never be good enough, perfect enough, we all need grace. We all need Jesus. We all need God's unconditional love. 

So tonight when I didn't immediately compare myself to the adorableness I saw on the bloggers blog. I felt like I'd taken a step in the right direction. We are all in this together. If we believe in Jesus we are the body of Christ and we should be lifting each other up instead of tearing each other down. 

Live the life God has called you to and don't try so hard to be anyone else. He loves you and created you just the way you are. Not perfect, but in need of a Savior. 

1 Corinthians 7:17 "Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him." 


No comments: