Friday, January 16, 2015

Monumental Dates

My dad was a dates guy.
He once told a story that he saw a guy in a store and said hey- I can't remember your name, but your birthday is xx/xx/xx and told the guy his exact birthday. Numbers were his thing. He could remember them so well even though he couldn't remember the guys name he could recall his birthday. It was amazing how he would remember birthdays and call or text people on their birthdays. He seemed to never forget.

Today was his birthday. 01/16/54.

He would have been 61.

He was known to call someone at 12:01am or even better 2am to his best buddies. To make sure he was the first to wish them a Happy Birthday.

Last year for his 60th birthday he was in VEGAS with my stepmom.
I didn't call. I knew he was busy and having fun and who knows why, but I didn't make it a priority. Luckily I can say that is my ONLY regret of my relationship with my dad.

I loved him so so much. And he knew that. He loved me so so much and I KNOW that. But not talking to him on his birthday last year...never knowing it would be his last...is my one regret.

They got back from their trip out west and just a week later he was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. He took his first Chemo the first week of February and then in March I practically moved in with them and spend his last 6 weeks with him. I am so grateful for that time with him.

Firsts are hard. We have almost made it through them all. 1st Thanksgiving without my dad, my 1st birthday of my entire life without my dad, 1st Christmas without my dad, his 1st birthday. He died April 13th, 2014. I can't believe it has almost been a year. These last 3 months of holidays/birthday have been really hard. But like my grandmother said today we just keep surviving. We don't have any other choice. Praise be to the one who sustains us. Thank you Lord for memories, for tears, and for loved ones who understand.

Here's to celebrating his legacy and living a life of love and kindness just like he did.


No comments: