Saturday, October 24, 2009

Big Twist

Please pray for our adoption. I am in faith painting the nursery today and planning on everything going on as planned....but....

This past week Jeremiah's birthfather came back into the picture. He isn't necessarily interested in raising Jeremiah from what I understand, but his family is. His mom and sister (Jeremiah's grandmother and aunt) have shown interest in keeping Jeremiah in the "family." They let the birthmom have it and reamed her for even thinking about an adoption plan. The birthmom is in a hard spot. She has to decide what is best. She has to either give custody to their family and stop the adoption or allow us to continue and adopt Jeremiah.

The laws in Indiana are clear. There are two possibilities.
1. Serve the birthfather with paperwork- this would tell him that the birthmom is planning on adoption. He would have 30 days from when the paperwork is served to take action to stop the adoption.

2. Do nothing- then if the birthmom still signed her consent when Jeremiah is born we would have 30 days until the birthfather's rights are automatically relinquished. If he does take action, by signing up on a registry list, the adoption would be over. (We would be able to bring Jeremiah home from the hospital as long as the birthmom signs her consent, just with the risk of the 30 day period.)

I am unusually calm. I feel peace. If this doesn't work out I know God has a plan, but I am moving forward. I am making plans that God is going to do a miracle. This connection with the birthmom and how it has all come about has been a God thing. I can't tell you how much I want this to happen, but we've all had things that we've wanted to happen that didn't turn out the way we wanted. Se we will wait- we only have 8 more weeks to wait for Jeremiah's birth. We will definitely know if the birthmom is going to sign away her rights by then. :)

I am not mad at the birthmom at all- this is a really hard decision she has to make. I really am hoping that more than anything God shows her the best choice to make would be for Jeremiah to join the Doss Family, but if she doesn't then she will have true peace that she is making the very best decision.

Please pray for us. Please pray for her and the birthfather and espceially for baby Jeremiah- the choice she makes could drastically change the outcome of his little life.

Jeremiah 10:23 (NIV) "I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps."


Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Oh gosh. We are praying hard and believing in faith with you that Jeremiah IS your son and will be home with you in 8 short weeks!! Keep us posted!

Bullock Family said...


Cassi Wolski said...

I read your FB status yesterday. Please know we are praying for you both during this time. If you need to talk feel free to call anytime.