Thursday, May 22, 2008

School is Out for Summer

So today was a 1/2 day for the students in our county. And now they are out for summer. I saw a bunch of them at Wal-mart today. I woke up knowing that today was the last day of school for the kids and the teachers will go for one more day tomorrow. The strange thing is this is the first time since I was in Kindergarten that it didn't affect my schedule. I woke up late this morning and continued with my simi-normal routine. But for 24 years this has been such a mile marking day. From Kindergarten to my Junior year we celebrated being out of school and getting to keep our report cards. Then my Senior year there were tears and shouts of joy, which was exactly 10 years ago, by the way. Then there was college which meant moving home each summer or moving for real when I got married. Then I was a teacher and the end of the school year there was a celebration that we had made it! So this year there are no bells and whistles. No excitement seeing the buses roll away for a few months. Just a regular day marking the fact that I quit teaching one year ago. Hmmm. Maybe that alone is reason to celebrate.

No comments: